We Can and Should Be Grateful in ALL Things
Blog 31: We Can
and Should Be Grateful in ALL Things
People can experience suffering in a variety of ways
from birth, or even before birth. I don’t know anyone who wants to experience
physical or emotional pain. In my field of work, I have been around people who
experience one or both kinds of suffering, sometimes daily; including myself.
I also know that it can feel very challenging if not
impossible to be grateful when one is suffering. We all suffer in different
degrees and for different reasons, and at different times. Types of suffering
are too numerous to count, and it is something that everyone can relate to at
various times in their lives.
There was a disaster, recently, in a community in
which I am very familiar. My immediate family or close friends were not
significantly affected; however, I did witness the hardest hit areas firsthand.
I saw true devastation up close and personal so much that I experienced it with
nearly all my senses. I also experienced shock and as someone who feels deeply
would; I experienced heartache for those who suffered in a direct way, so much
so that I had to put up an emotional wall to protect myself.
Majestic tree lined streets that were once common traveling
grounds for bike riders, dog walkers, and people who just took an occasional
stroll now had skies filled with leafless, sometimes branchless, stick figures
for trees. Many of the beautiful homes had temporary tarps on their roofs,
broken windows and trees/branches sticking in and out of every imaginable
vehicle, home or place of work.
More than 15,000 people were without electricity for
no less than 16 hours and most of them still do not have electricity as I write,
more than a week later. A significant number of people still cannot safely use
their water. Some people have lost a little, some have lost nearly every
material thing that they own. Some have lost multiple businesses, so their
livelihoods are jeopardized as well as their homes.
Despite all the loss, there are some significant
things for which we can all be grateful, during this crisis. There was no loss
of life because of this disaster, and there were no significant physical
injuries in terms of reports I have heard. It is true that many will have the
emotional scars that will last the rest of our lifetimes. Yet, we and they are
alive.
One of the best ways to sum up how I want to and hope
that others will respond to any storm or crisis in our lives is simply stated
in 1 Thessalonians 5:18, which says: “in every situation [no matter what the
circumstances] be thankful and continually give thanks to God; for this is the
will of God for you in Christ Jesus”. (Amplified Bible translation).
Comments